City Quay itself is reclaimed land, walled in from the Liffey in stages from 1666 and completed under Sir John Rogerson after 1713. By the mid nineteenth century the waterside community wanted its own church, and Fr McCann delivered it between 1861 and 1863 to a design by John Bourke, a prolific architect of Catholic churches and institutions. The bell tower by John Loftus Robinson followed in 1888-1890 at a cost of 900 pounds, and a presbytery was added in 1915. In recent years the church has been at the centre of a public dispute: a 2018 settlement with a neighbouring developer left about 2 million euro for restoration, planning permission was granted in November 2020, but the Archdiocese of Dublin halted the project in 2021 and required the funds to be transferred to diocesan control. Parishioners petitioned and protested in 2023, and in January 2024 the matter was raised with the Charities Regulator. The church remains open for regular Mass.
Known as the Docker's Church, the building served generations of dock workers and seafarers on the south quays of the Liffey. It began as a chapel of ease to St Andrew's, Westland Row, and became a parish church in 1908. The interior includes a mosaic of the Immaculate Heart, Star of the Sea, and a Calvary scene credited to William Pearse, brother of Patrick Pearse.
Constituted in 1908 from Westland Row.