The Docker's Church
← The Church

The Docker's Church

Immaculate Heart of Mary, City Quay

City QuaySaturday, 8 August 2026
The Docker's Church
The Docker's Church
The Docker's Church
The Docker's Church
The Docker's Church
The Docker's Church
The Docker's Church
The Docker's Church
The Docker's Church
The Docker's Church
The Docker's Church
The Docker's Church
The Docker's Church
The Docker's Church
The Docker's Church
The Docker's Church
The Docker's Church
Saturday, 8 August 2026

The Church of the Immaculate Heart of Mary on City Quay, Dublin 2, was built between 1861 and 1863 to a Gothic Revival design by John Bourke and blessed by Archbishop Paul Cullen. Long known as the Docker's Church, it served the workers of the nearby port and became a parish church in its own right in 1908. Today it holds regular Mass while a long-running dispute over restoration funds continues between the parish community and the Archdiocese of Dublin.

§Architecture & history
Built
1863
Architect
John Bourke (church); John Loftus Robinson (bell tower)
Style
A gable-fronted Gothic Revival church in limestone, with a ten-bay nave, pointed arch windows and trefoilated lancets. C
Dedication
Immaculate Heart of Mary

City Quay itself is reclaimed land, walled in from the Liffey in stages from 1666 and completed under Sir John Rogerson after 1713. By the mid nineteenth century the waterside community wanted its own church, and Fr McCann delivered it between 1861 and 1863 to a design by John Bourke, a prolific architect of Catholic churches and institutions. The bell tower by John Loftus Robinson followed in 1888-1890 at a cost of 900 pounds, and a presbytery was added in 1915. In recent years the church has been at the centre of a public dispute: a 2018 settlement with a neighbouring developer left about 2 million euro for restoration, planning permission was granted in November 2020, but the Archdiocese of Dublin halted the project in 2021 and required the funds to be transferred to diocesan control. Parishioners petitioned and protested in 2023, and in January 2024 the matter was raised with the Charities Regulator. The church remains open for regular Mass.

Known as the Docker's Church, the building served generations of dock workers and seafarers on the south quays of the Liffey. It began as a chapel of ease to St Andrew's, Westland Row, and became a parish church in 1908. The interior includes a mosaic of the Immaculate Heart, Star of the Sea, and a Calvary scene credited to William Pearse, brother of Patrick Pearse.

Constituted in 1908 from Westland Row.

  • Mosaic of the Immaculate Heart, Star of the Sea; Calvary scene credited to William Pearse
§Notes

Fragments gathered while researching this church: stories, curiosities, people and dates.

Parishioners campaign for the restoration funds

A petition started by parishioner Mary Dolan in June 2023 gathered over 1,000 signatures asking Archbishop Farrell to release about 2 million euro held by the diocese for the approved restoration of the church interior. The petition describes the church as in poor repair and deteriorating. Parishioners also protested outside the Archbishop's residence in August 2023.

Source: Change.org petition

Second church dedicated to the Immaculate Heart of Mary

The parish website states that at its formal dedication in 1867 this was only the second church in the world dedicated to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. The claim comes from the parish itself and was not independently verified.

The Docker's Church

The church earned its popular name from the dock workers and seafarers of the adjacent quays who formed its congregation for over a century.

Donor inscription on the gates

The Victorian gates and railings carry the inscription: Pray for the Donor Thomas Patrick Birmingham RIP.

Timeline

  • 1861
    Foundation stone laid Archbishop Paul Cullen laid the foundation stone. The parish website gives 25 September 1861; Archiseek gives 24 October 1861.
  • 1863
    Church blessed and opened Archbishop Cullen blessed the completed church on 20 September 1863.
  • 1867
    Dedication to the Immaculate Heart of Mary The parish states the church was formally dedicated to the Immaculate Heart of Mary in 1867, the second church in the world with this dedication.
  • 1881
    High altar consecrated The Caen stone altar, 20 feet high, was consecrated on 17 October 1881.
  • 1890
    Bell tower completed The bell tower by architect John Loftus Robinson was added between 1888 and 1890 at a cost of 900 pounds.
  • 1908
    City Quay becomes a parish Archbishop William Walsh constituted City Quay as a distinct parish, separated from Westland Row (St Andrew's).
  • 1915
    Presbytery built A presbytery was built beside the church in 1915.
  • 2018
    Settlement with developer After disputes over neighbouring development, a settlement with developer TIO provided 3.5 million euro in compensation to the parish, of which about 2 million euro remained for church renovation.
  • 2020
    Planning permission for restoration Planning permission for restoration work was granted in November 2020; the Archdiocese later halted the project and required the funds to be transferred to diocesan control.
  • 2023
    Parishioners protest Parishioners petitioned and protested in 2023 seeking release of the restoration funds; RTE reported on the deteriorating condition of the building.

People

  • John Bourke (died 1871) Architect of the church — Dublin architect known for Catholic churches and institutions, including the Mater Misericordiae Hospital and St Mel's Cathedral, Longford. He designed City Quay church in 1861-1863 and died suddenly in 1871.
  • John Loftus Robinson Architect of the bell tower — Designed the bell tower added in 1888-1890.
  • Rev. Joseph Christopher McCann (1807-1867) Founding priest — Appointed in 1861, he contributed 5,000 pounds of his own money to build the church. Born 11 July 1807, ordained 1825, he died on 27 August 1867.
  • Cardinal Paul Cullen (1803-1878) Laid the foundation stone and blessed the church — As Archbishop of Dublin he laid the foundation stone in 1861 and blessed the church in 1863.
  • George Luke O'Connor Executed the high altar, mosaic pulpit, gates and railings — The heritage record credits O'Connor with the high altar, the mosaic pulpit and the carved limestone and wrought iron gates and railings fronting the quay.
  • William Pearse (1881-1916) Credited with the Calvary scene — The heritage record and Archiseek credit the Calvary scene in the church to sculptor William Pearse, brother of Patrick Pearse, both executed after the 1916 Rising.

Also known as: The Docker's Church

§If you go

Mass times

Sunday
11:30 AM
Saturday
6:00 PM
Tuesday
8:00 AM (Weekday Mass)
Wednesday
8:00 AM (Weekday Mass)
Thursday
8:00 AM (Weekday Mass)
Friday
8:00 AM (Weekday Mass)
Holy Days
8:00 AM (Holy Day Mass) · 12:45 PM (Holy Day Mass)

Checked 10 Jul 2026

Address
City Quay, Dublin 2