In 1793, the year the Irish Parliament passed the Catholic Relief Act, the brewer John Sweetman bought this plot for the Carmelites and laid the foundation stone. Catholics could finally build again — but quietly, off the main street, with nothing on the outside to announce a church. The 1798 Rising interrupted the works, and the building was only finished in 1810, to a design by Timothy Beahan. Over the nineteenth century it grew: John Bourke added the sanctuary, east transept and campanile in 1863; O'Neill & Byrne the west transept in 1876. In 1829, the year of Catholic Emancipation itself, John Hogan's Dead Christ was placed beneath the high altar, where it still lies. Grafton Street grew up loud around it; the church stayed.
One of the first public Catholic churches after the Penal Laws (from 1793).
One of the first post-Penal Catholic churches in the city centre (opened 1793-1810s).