Construction of the present church began at Easter 1862 to designs by Edward Welby Pugin and George Coppinger Ashlin, with Michael Meade as contractor. The roof and spire structure were finished in time for the church to open for public worship in 1874, though the parish account states the full building process took over thirty years. William Hague designed the spire, and the exterior of the church was solemnly completed and opened on 15 December 1895, with the interior finished by around 1911 according to Wikipedia.
The tower niches hold Portland stone statues of the twelve apostles carved by James Pearse, father of Patrick and Willie Pearse. Apse glass was supplied by the Mayer of Munich studio, and the church also holds windows attributed to the Harry Clarke studio and to Michael Healy. The building today functions as a priory church of the Augustinian order rather than a territorial parish.
Landmark 'John's Lane' spire on Thomas Street.
Augustinian foundation from c.1180. Present Gothic church begun 1862 (E.W. Pugin & G.C. Ashlin; completed by William Hague); opened 1874, solemnly opened 15 December 1895.